We have made available standard protocols and have presented the protocols we have used to create the Whatman FTA cards. These protocols are updated whenever necessary and have been thoroughly tested. Under this section you will find protocols for:
- Making Competent Cells - the RbCl protocol that the DGRC uses to make "in house cells" for test transformations, transformation buffer recipe we use is also listed
- Transformation Buffer - the RbCl buffer used in the protocol we use for making competent cells.
- FTA disc processing - the protocol we recommend you use for processing your discs. As we become aware of alternative methods that work for others, we will post them in the FAQs.
- Preparation of FTA discs for distribution - this is the protocol we designed for transferring the vectors and cDNA collections onto Whatman micro and 96-well cards. This is useful for anyone considering storing personal lab stocks long term at room temperature.
- Quality Control Results - transformation results comparing several strains of E.coli used in transformations.
IMPORTANT NOTE: If you refer to protocols published on our website in manuscripts, please cite the DGRC accordingly. Please use the date, author and title on the document.